Image Map

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Me days

I used to feel guilty taking a "me" day. I always felt like I was going to miss out on something or  be super bored. Last night I decided that this morning/afternoon was going to be a "me" day. I guess this counts as a cheating "me" day because I mean, I am >1000 miles away from my husband so it's obvious that I would be myself. However, tonight, I'm going out with new friends that I have made here--can't wait to post about our adventures up here.

I slept in until 0900 today! I don't remember the last time I've slept in until 0900--that didn't even happen on vacation in the Bahamas! There is a Barnes & Nobles by where I am staying and let me just go off on a quick tangent and explain how much I miss B&N! During college & graduate school I spent most of my existence at B&N. I woke up early, threw sweats, a sweatshirt and uggs on and stumbled into B&N and spent the day studying (Woohoo the life of a pre-med/pre-law major!). I would eat lunch there, snack all day and be pretty productive (despite the routine trips to the magazine rack as a "brain break"). During graduate school I spent pretty much my entire weekend at B&N. I had a system down and it worked wonderfully. Ehh...I got a 4.0 in college and grad school so it must have worked! Did I mention the fact that both apartments (in 2 different states) were no more than a 4 minute walk away from B&N? score! The whole putting on pandora, putting headphones on, drinking coffee, people watching, typing, highlighting and flashcard writing really is peaceful.

Then we move to where we are now....and the closest B&N is 50 minutes away and is TINY! So, needless to say, there have been limited B&N trips since we've moved.

Then I find out I'm going to be spending 11 weeks somewhere else and the first hour I was here I drove by a B&N and TOTALLY FREAKED OUT!!! And alas...here I was this morning, reading, listening to music and relaxing in the calm, peaceful B&N environment......that is, until a SCREAMING baby and mother decided to sit right next to me. I hurried up and packed up and got out of there as quick as I could hoping the screaming baby wouldn't ruin my peaceful swag--alas, they didn't :)

Then the next best discovery (or equally good discovery--still not sure) happened....a TRADER JOES! Being a Californian, I took TJ's for granted. Didn't really think it was that big of a deal. Then I moved to Texas...and then I moved to another state...and ugh missed TJs like NO OTHER! Who knew that there would be a TJs on the other side of the country than CA?! I sure didn't and boy am I glad I discovered it! So, I spent a totally inadequate amount of time at TJs and stocked up on food for the week plus some (aussie licorice, jo-joes, fruit leather, etc. etc.)

OK. so that is my rant about my peaceful day. Sometimes, it's the little things. We need to regenerate our bodies and restore our minds. Even if it's 30 minutes alone talking to God or reading the Bible or an afternoon of doing things that you like to do. Our health is all about physical, spiritual, mental and social balance. Me days help out with all of those.

Cheers friends! Enjoy your Saturday!
-M




{{My book of choice today. I can't wait to read through it and finish it!}}
{{Always continuing learning from great leaders!}}

No comments:

Post a Comment