They are doing a series at church called "Friending" (check it out at lifechurch.tv!) and it's helped shed light on a LOT of things that I have been thinking about lately.
It's funny because we grow up feeling like we just HAVE To be friends with EVERYONE and if you're not friends with EVERYONE then you're lame. Welcome to where I grew up---now you know why I moved 2,000+ miles away? haha JUST KIDDING...sorda...
Anyways....I used to try to stay in touch with so many people. I would constantly be calling/texting/messaging/etc. and our conversations would go pretty much like this "hey, how are you" "good, you?" "awesome. thanks. what's new?" "nothing much, you?" "same. just livin the dream". and the awkward silence and conversation is over.
So, once I got in grad school I learned that some people are meant for certain seasons in life and God actually places them in your life at that exact time because you each have something that can help the other one out--how crazy is that?. Fortunatly, most of my strong friendships have become stronger through various seasons in our lives but there are also those friendships that were great and perfect for the time being that now are not as strong as they used to be. It used to be hard for me to accept that--I would almost force the friendship only to re-discover that God's purpose for that friendship was already fulfilled and it was time to accept that.
I love the friendships that have grown stronger since moving and I am greatful for the friendships that helped me get to where I am today. I can only hope and pray that my friendship with those people that positively influenced me reflected positivity in their growth through life.
What Craig Groeschel says is so true "Show me your friends and I'll show you your future."
We get so used to finding friends that make us comfortable--that agree with everything we do, that never have a negative opinion towards us and that are as similar to us as we can find.
I'm encouraged to find some friends that challenge me--that allow me to grow more and that help keep the drive and determination towards realizing huge, crazy plans there.
Well...there is my rambling for the day. That's what a blog is for...right?!
-M
No comments:
Post a Comment